Remember the coupler issues I was having? Fixed ‘em!
While I was in Oakland I did a fair bit of research on what my options were, and finally decided on these “light duty” couplers from McMaster-Carr (Part no. 6115K18). As you can see, not only are they aluminum (instead of plastic (nylon?) like the last ones), they are HUGE. You can see the size difference here. I actually had to dremel out the x-axis motor mount to get it to fit, but thankfully it didn’t need much.
After slapping those puppies in and tightening up some things (I really need to remember to put loctite on those set screws), I milled out a couple new test pieces.
Beautiful. Not only did they have wonderfully smooth edges, free of steps and ripples, but they also fit together snugly! This means that they are likely within 0.01″ of their intended dimensions. I’ll have a better sense of it’s accuracy once I mill a harder material like masonite.
Of course, now that my machine is finally working well I’ve got to go to Chicago for my nephew’s bris, but once I get back on Monday, I’LL FINALLY GET TO MAKE STUFF!!!
I’m very excited.